The Estadio Jose Amalfitani is a stadium in the city of Buenos Aires, Argentina, and is home of Velez Sarsfield from the Argentine First Division. Inside Argentina, a common nickname for the stadium is El Fortín (“The Fort”); outside the country, the stadium is frequently called Velez Sarsfield after its primary occupant.
The stadium was built in 1947 and later remodeled in preparation for the 1978 FIFA World Cup. It has capacity for 49,540 spectators although it doesn’t provide seating for all of them, like many Argentine stadiums. It is effectively the national stadium for Argentina rugby; although Los Pumas play Test matches throughout the country, their highest-profile Tests are usually held here.
- Av. Juan B. Justo 9200, (Zip Code 1408), Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Stadium Website: www.velezsarsfield.com.ar/en/
- Capacity of 49,540
- Argentina Rugby Union – Los Pumas (web: lospumas.com.ar)
- Super Rugby – Jaguares (web: jaguares.com.ar)
- Argentine Primera División – Club Atlético Vélez Sarsfield (web: velezsarsfield.com.ar)