Welford Road is a stadium in Leicester, England and is home to one of England’s traditional rugby union powers, Leicester Tigers. It is located between Aylestone Road and Welford Road in on the edge of the city centre. The stadium, mostly built in the 1930s, and has a capacity of 17,400, making it the second largest purpose-built club rugby union ground (after Kingsholm Stadium’s 17,500) in England.
The Leicester Tigers moved there in 1892 and the first stands accommodated 1,100 spectators. The club house is located on the Aylestone Road, where a small temporary stand is erected, with the other sides having permanent stands built on them.
The Crumbie Stand was built in the 1920s with the terrace being added later. The stand is named after the club’s secretary who built the stand, Tom Crumbie.
The members’ stand is now called the Next stand and built on the side of the ground adjoining the former Granby Halls site – this stand was also built in the twenties.
The Alliance and Leicester Stand was opened at the Welford Road end in 1995. Leicester purchased the freehold to land adjacent to the ground in 2006.
Plans have now been submitted for the ground to be radically altered. The new stadium will see capacity expanded to 30,000, making it the largest club Rugby Union stadium in the country.
- Aylestone Road, Leicester, LE2 7TR, England.
- Club Website: leicestertigers.com
- Capacity of 25,850